Thursday, August 5, 2010

Yoga, and more on deep breathing

I used to think that the idea of yoga was a joke.
I'm supposed to get a good workout by slowly moving, stretching and doing that woowie-woowie "kumbaya" meditation thing!?  Sounds like a workout-for-wussies to me! No thanks!  To me, working out was running and lifting weights and hiking and biking.  But then about 4 years ago when my knee was loudly protesting that I run a mile more and I began to look for a new way to workout, I decided to give that wacky yoga stuff a try.

And guess what?
I was wrong about it!  
Yoga is a killer workout that pushes your muscles to the limits, builds strength and balance, makes you more flexible than you thought possible, and leaves you completely exhausted yet refreshed (and less prone to injury, I might add!).  Yoga is not for wussies.  I became an instant fan. 

While yoga gives me the physical challenge and sweat dripping down my face that I like in a workout,
I think the biggest reason I love it is because it puts me in tune with myself--body, mind, spirit--and helps me to surrender and release stresses that weigh me down.  I know, it's so new-agey, granola-y, woowie-woowie.  I used to repel it, too.  But allow me to explain...

When I go running (which isn't often, thanks to my crap-tastic knee), I like to think about life, what I've done that day, what I need to do, what I'm feeling, etc, etc.  Running can be a good way to think and meditate, but in a different way than yoga.  When I run, I'm focused on running and my wandering thoughts and I breathe to keep up with the demands that running is placing on my body for oxygen.  The faster I run, the faster and harder I breathe.  Right?  Well, one of the things that took some getting used to with yoga is that instead of the breath reflecting the exertion or movement, each movement flows in rhythm with the breath. 

The yoga breath consists of deep, diaphragmatic breathing through the nose (mouth closed), and then breathing out through the nose as you raise the soft palate and hollow out the back of the throat, creating an "oceanic"--and, in my opinion--almost growly sound through the closed mouth.  (One of my yoga teachers is always telling us that she wants to be able to hear our breaths out as she walks around the studio.)  This type of breathing is not only designed to help provide the best oxygenation to the body as it works out, but to keep the individual focused on the breath--deep inhalations followed by complete exhalations--and focused on the present moment.

You see, yoga isn't really a time to contemplate all the day's happenings and all aspects of your life (like running is for me).  Yoga is a time to quiet the mind, focus on the breath as you work through movements, and allow yourself to surrender to the challenge, pain, and discomfort of each pose and stretch.  It is so hard!  I find myself starting to go through the laundry list of things to do today, tomorrow, or next week, and then I suddenly find my breathing frantic and the posture unbearable and painful.  It is only when I go back to that deep breathing, bring myself to the present moment, and surrender those muscles that are fighting the posture or pose that I can get the best yoga workout possible.

For a long time, I didn't understand how yoga was supposed to be a form of meditation and personal growth when all I'm doing is focusing on my breath, my movement, and kind of thinking about nothing!!  I mean, I consider a productive mind to be one that is going a million miles a minute!  But interestingly enough, when I dedicate the beginning of my workout to letting go and staying present, I come out of yoga feeling less frustrated, less angry, less emotionally hurt, and less stressed than when I had entered.  And oddly enough, it isn't because I had to think of how to resolve those feelings or circumstances; it was simply because I was able to quiet myself, be present for an hour, and let go.  Somehow, with the act of physically letting go, emotionally and mentally "letting go" just follows naturally (at least for me). 

It's still hard for me to be present and keep that deep yoga brath going the whole time, but I really love yoga and how it has helped me to stay physically fit while quieting my mind and strengthening the health of my soul.  
For those other yoga fans out there, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.  And for those of you who haven't tried yoga because you think it's going to be weird: it's okay.  You're just like me :)  Just know that when you someday do decide to give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

For those of you looking to get into yoga or to do yoga more often, I highly recommend the book "Power Yoga: Total Strength and Flexibility Workout" by Beryl Bender Birch.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete